SWC Seeks to Assist Project Commemorating Rescue Activities at Budapest "Glass House"

February 27, 2005

Wiesenthal Center Seeks to Assist Project Commemorating Rescue Activities at Budapest "Glass House"

The Simon Wiesenthal Center is seeking the names of Jews who received shelter and assistance at the "Glass House" (address: 29 Vadasz Street) in Budapest in 1944 to assist a new project launched to commemorate the rescue activities of the Hungarian Zionist youth movements during the Holocaust.

The "Glass House," which operated under the auspices of Swiss consul Charles Lutz (who has been recognized as one of the Righteous Among the Nations by Yad Vashem), served as the headquarters of the Zionist youth movements which coordinated rescue and relief activities for the Jews of Budapest during one of the most crucial periods of the Holocaust.

The Budapest City Council has turned over one of the halls of the building to the "Society for Research on the History of the Zionist Youth Movements in Hungary" who plan to create an exhibition and memorial site, which will also serve as an educational center. They have asked for the Wiesenthal Center’s help in finding the names of all the Jews who stayed at the Glass House at any point during the Nazi occupation of Hungary.

Any person with relevant information and/or historical documents, photos, or stories should contact the Center’s Jerusalem office at: swcjerus@netvision.net.il

For more information call 00-972-50-7214156